Sunday, May 30, 2010
Everybody's Favorite – Highland Park
The history of Highland Park begins in 1889 when the area was used as the Meridian Fair and Livestock Exposition. When the Fair and Exposition Corporation dissolved in 1906, ownership of the land was transferred to the newly formed Park Association, established as a non-profit corporation to assemble property and develop initial plans for Highland Park. At the time Highland Park was designed, there was a national trend for streetcar pleasure parks, and electric railway companies wanted to increase their operations by owning or investing in these parks.
The Meridian Light and Railway Company followed the national trend, building a rail line beginning at 8th Street and following 34th Avenue until it turned west between 19th and 20th Streets and continuing west into Highland Park. The company also cooperated with the city to build the park itself in 1908 and provide band concerts for its amphitheater.